Domestic violence charges range in severity from a misdemeanor to a felony, but even misdemeanors may carry a minimum of fifteen days in county jail if the accused person has a prior conviction for battery or sexual battery. A few examples of common domestic violence charges in San Diego County include:
Domestic Violence Arrest in San Diego: Now What?
The majority of the time when police are called to investigate a domestic dispute someone is going to be taken to the police station or the county jail, even if it’s a loud argument with no physical contact. The reason arrests are so common in these types of cases is because when someone is not taken to jail and one of the parties is injured, he or she could potentially sue the city or county.
When is domestic violence a felony in San Diego? Typically felonies are charged when evidence exists that physical harm has been done to one or more victims, i.e. a scratch, bruise, cut, bump, etc. A domestic violence case might start as a misdemeanor but it can quickly change into a felony. For example, if the police find that an attempt to injure existed, they will charge the abuser with a felony. These charges cannot be dropped even if the accuser changes his or her mind once the charge has been filed. Please do not mistake this information as legal advice.
Domestic Violence Bail Schedule
Bail Bonds for domestic violence in San Diego County may range from $20,000 for a misdemeanor offense to $50,000 for a felony.
After a bail bondsman posts bail, which is a financial guarantee to the court making sure that the accused person will appear at all required dates, the accused person may go home and fulfill his or her responsibilities. At King Triton Bail Bonds, we understand that your greatest priority is getting a loved one out of jail and back home. In turn, we strive to make the bail bond process as seamless as possible.
The rates of domestic violence bail bonds are regulated by the California Department of Insurance. The premium, which is the amount every bail bond service provider charges for providing the pre-trial release service, is a nonrefundable 10% of the bail amount. However, we are able to offer a 7% premium.
Deciding particular bail amounts is the responsibility of the judges in San Diego County. They do this by using the San Diego bail schedule. Deciding the domestic violence bail amount involves different factors and usually includes crime rates in specific areas. It is important to remember that judges can change or increase at times the listed bail amounts. The judge imposing the bail will most likely use the specific schedule as a starting point and assign a specific amount accordingly.
Because the County of San Diego typically seeks out the maximum punishment for domestic violence, we are dedicated to helping you navigate the process, whether it’s a felony or a misdemeanor. If a friend or family member has been arrested, call King Triton Bail Bonds for domestic violence bail bonds in San Diego County. We operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Posting Bail for Domestic Violence Charges in San Diego
If a friend or family member finds himself or herself in a position of arrest, the entire process of getting home can be overwhelming. We understand this and are here to help. Sometimes, it helps just to know what to expect.
Although each situation is different, there are common guidelines for the entire process:
- Call us as soon as possible.
- After contacting King Triton Bail Bonds, we will try to gather as much information as possible about the accused person and the situation, we will look up the accused person's charges and the domestic violence bail amount. We'll also walk you through the entire bail bond application and let you know what to expect.
- After our initial conversation, the person interested in bailing out the accused person (known as the co-signer or indemnitor) must decide to take responsibility for the bail bond. It is important to remember this is also accepting responsibility for the accused person's appearance in court on the specified date and time.
- We will handle the paperwork: fill out the bail bond application and indemnity agreement and any other required documents. After the bail bond paperwork is filled out completely, we can take care of releasing your friend or family member from jail.
- One of our licensed bail bondsmen will post the bail bond at the jail, which will allow the jail to begin the release process and the accused person to be released. The entire process can be completed in an hour. It is that simple. Keep in mind that we can't begin the bail bond process until after the accused person has gone through the process of booking, which, depending on the size of the jail, can take anywhere from an hour to half a day.
- After that, the accused person is released from jail and will come to check into our office and receive his or her court information and obligations.
We service all San Diego County Jails 24 hours a day and we have a network of bail agents within 5 minutes of every single jail in San Diego County. For more information about the bail amount, the booking process, the rights an accused person has and jail bail outPre-approved in 5 minutes »
Domestic Violence Bail Bonds: Let Us Help Your Loved One Get Out of Jail
It can be overwhelming when a friend or family member is arrested and charged with domestic violence. You may be wondering about what will happen in the criminal court system. When a loved one is in jail, the first step is to get a reputable bail bond agent. King Triton Bail Bonds understands how stressful being arrested can be, so we strive to make the entire process as easy as we can.
You want a bail agent who will make things easy for your loved one and guide you through every step of the process of securing his or her freedom. You want a bondsman who will help him or her leave as soon as possible after you have posted the bail bond, so he or she doesn’t have to spend the night in jail.
We are based in San Diego and also have offices located in Vista and Poway. We are happy to be utilized as a statewide support system to help anyone get through any situation that may benefit from our services and expertise. With our experience comes knowledge and the opportunity to hone our skills in order to serve you better. Don’t hesitate to contact us, and feel free to take a look around our website.