Under California Penal Code Section 368, elder abuse can occur in a variety of situations that have to be directed at someone 65 years of age or older, including:
- Physical abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Neglect and endangerment
- Financial exploitation
The bail amounts for elder abuse can range from $10,000 to $100,000. San Diego County has its own bail schedule. Initially, bail may be set at the jail according to the bail schedule and the charges listed in the arrest report. When the arrestees remain in jail until they are seen by a judge, the court may decide to raise or lower the bail or even deny it.
How Much Time in Jail Can Someone Get for Elder Abuse?
For elder abuse, the defendant may be facing the following penalty:
- Up to 1 year in county jail when the crime is prosecuted as a misdemeanor
- A fine of thousands of dollars
- 2-4 years in a California state prison when the crime is prosecuted as a felony
Many are not aware that what they are doing to an elderly family member could be considered abuse. If you are charged with elder abuse, the bail bondsmen at King Triton Bail Bonds can help you. Our bail bond agents are available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.Pre-approved in 5 minutes »
Elder Abuse in San Diego County: Case Examples
- The defendant was verbally abusive to the victim while they were living together, causing her to call 911 and report that the defendant had threatened her. The defendant was arrested on suspicion of elderly abuse and was held at a detention center in lieu of bail of $50,000.
- A woman who answered an ad to be a caretaker for an elderly woman was arrested on suspicion of elder abuse.
- Bail for the defendant, 33, was set at $215,000 after she was booked into a County Jail for multiple felony charges involving elder abuse. Police said detectives were alerted to the case when an employee at an assisted living center told authorities that the defendant was not paying for the victim’s medications and was late with care payments.
- A California judge ruled that the defendant committed elder abuse against his 67-year-old mother by physically hitting and financially exploiting her. She ordered the defendant to move out of his mother's home and to stay away from it for one year.
When you need 24-hour bail bonds, call King Triton Bail Bonds. We have offices located in San Diego, Vista and Santee and are here to help you. We offer bail bonds and can answer any questions or concerns regarding the bail bond process.